Tuesday, December 8, 2009

To Me, Christ IS Christmas

I was looking on Google for clipart of "Keep Christ in Christmas", and ran across a few interesting takes on the subject:


I found this on Held Over! Newspaper Movie Ads . It dates from December 20, 1953.


This is from Chris Creamer's Sports Logos.


The Arkansas Knights of Columbus, Council #10208, in Hot Springs put up this billboard:

This was on Da Mihi Animas, in December, 2008. They don't comment on the source, or whether it's real or not.

This is the official pin of the Celebrate Santa Convention, made by Jostens Jewelers (the high school ring company). You can see baby Jesus on the bottom left, and kneeling Santa on the right:

To me, Christ IS Christmas, not just IN it. I know many will argue that a lot of Christmas traditions began with pagan rituals and such and that makes it a non-religious holiday/season. These origins are probably true but, I believe if it weren't for celebrating the Lord's birthday (even though no one knows exactly when that was), these traditions and decorations wouldn't be around at all today. New Year's would probably be the big winter holiday!

I love decorating, and singing, and Santa, and gifts (especially the gifts!) as much as the next person but also ~

5 comments:

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Sue, I agree! Let's keep Christ in Christmas, for if He had not come, we wouldn't even be celebrating. Jesus IS the REASON for the season! Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
Sandi

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Sue thank you for saying this once again. I agree that Christ is Christmas!

Cass @ That Old House said...

I am grateful that it is not up to me to keep Christ in Christmas, for Christ IS Christmas and cannot be removed from it. He is the heart and soul of the celebration of his birth, and when we look beyond all the beauty and charm of this special time of year, at its center is that tiny baby, that miracle of Grace, the Word made Flesh. I love our celebrations of Christmas in all their shapes and forms, but I truly am awed by the boundless love of our Lord, who became a mere man for our sakes. Merry Christmas, Sue! Lovely post.
Cass

Christi @ A Southern Life said...

Hear, Hear! Beautifully said!

Christi @ A Southern Life

Kim, USA said...

Oh yes definitely Jesus is the reason for season. Well said and thank you!!


My Rednesday