Sunday, November 3, 2013

THE LAST HURRAH!

Ladies (and gents) - I am so excited! A dear, dear blog friend read about my camera breaking and sent me one that she wasn't using anymore. It's an inexpensive model but, who cares, it take pictures!! So here's my first batch of pictures - the last hurrah from my garden.

This is the herb Pineapple Sage. It's an annual, native to Mexico and Guatamala. It's said to grow up to 5 feet tall but in my climate here in chilly New England it only reaches to about 1-1/2 feet before the frost gets to it. The leaves really do smell like pineapple, they're delightful!


Here I have Virginia Stock 'Spring Sparkle'. Another annual native to Greece and Albania, growing from 6 to 12 inches tall and fragrant. These are such a happy little flower and I grow them every year.


Can you believe this riot of color? In November? I am thrilled; although, I think we'll be getting a hard frost any day now. We usually do in early November. You can see purple Alyssum, Tall Verbena, Nicotiana (flowering tobacco), Lavender, and two colors of Snapdragons!


Here on the front steps there are Annual Phlox and Bachelor's Buttons 'Blue Boy' holding their own.







I love Fall flowers. These are perennial Chrysenthemums 'Hillside Sheffield Pink'.




 Last, I'll show you my pitiful Petunias! It seems that every year some seeds decide they're strong enough to grow on their own come Spring. This year they took root right beside the house, so I left them there. Can't believe they're still flowering! I think this is the antique variety called Balcony Petunias.


5 comments:

Denise Price said...

Wow, I can't believe you still have so many pretty flowers. Almost everything is already brown here in Minnesota; I'm sure we'll see snow soon.

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Beautiful! Love seeing flowers blooming in the fall. I have a few doing well also.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

So happy you are able to take some photos of the last of your garden. I think they turned out great! Yay for wonderful friends!

ThreeOldKeys said...

well Hurrah for friends and cameras and gardens and Sue!!!

a big Thank You to your blog friend who sent the camera.

★Carol★ said...

Here we are in November, and the flowers are still blooming! Crazy, isn't it? I have a coneflower out there that I refuse to cut down, and the Sweet William is plugging along, and a couple of heliopsis and of course some roses, and I'm thankful for them all!
Thank You anonymous blog friend for sending Sue a camera!