Monday, February 7, 2011

VILLEROY & BOCH CHINA

Now, I'm not a "tablescaper", nor do I ever intend to be. But I just wanted to show you my winter dishes before they get put away for the season. I pull them out after Thanksgiving each year and leave them out until the end of February.

They are the Naif Christmas pattern by Villeroy & Boch. And, yes, they are expensive. I first saw them back in 1985 at the V&B factory outlet in Luxembourg (a teeny tiny country in Europe between Belgium and Germany). (The flatware is Brahms by Oneida)

I lived in Germany (between Darmstadt and Frankfurt) and Belgium (Rhode-St.-Genese) for two years, working at a Christian missionary organization that made college-level Bible courses for many countries around the world. I worked in the graphic arts department, doing mostly typesetting, but picked up quite a lot of other skills while there.

One Saturday, some of my friends said they were going to the V&B factory in Luxembourg and would I like to go too. I had never heard of V&B, or Luxembourg for that matter of fact, and fell in love with all their patterns as soon as I walked in! The only thing I could afford on a missionary's budget was a small ceramic Christmas ornament and a tile trivet! Nonetheless, I was smitten!
These are a relish dish, I think, but I use them for sandwiches, pastries and snacks!

A few years after I'd been back in the States, I found an incomplete 12-piece set of the Petite Fleur pattern at a yard sale for $25. One dinner plate is worth that alone! I was so excited, because that's my favorite pattern. Unfortunately, I lost most of them in our house fire (read about that here.)
Petite Fleur

Since then, I stumbled upon some Naif Christmas at Marshall's, or Home Goods - cheap! So I slowly built up my set with the help of gifts from my mother-in-law!

So now you've seen some humble photos of my dishes!

I'm mailing some of my Valentines today, but I'm not going to show them yet - I'm a tease!

13 comments:

Laura said...

Your dishes are lovely! We love the wintery scene.




Happy Monday,
Laura and Michele

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

what a great idea!

Susanne said...

They are pretty, and colorful for the winter months. Great choice; and isn't it a treat to find pieces here and there now. Collecting, that is the hunt, can be so much fun.

Carey said...

Your dishes are lovely. I would have bought them also because I love the picture on them. Isn't is nice to find that you can still get pieces to add to your set.
Have a great day.
Carey

Anonymous said...

How strange that you are posting about your dishes and I posted yesterday about 'nesting' in my home. I have the V & B set of plates depicting the Four Seasons on my hutch and just re-did a display in front of it.
I ADORE that series that you have, and I bought the few pieces I have in Germany in 1990. Couldn't afford to replace them now, either.
How FUN to read your post...we seemed to be on the same page!
Oh, I have the Fluer pots and pans. My girlfriend bought the dishes set in it when I was there.
Oh, I'm rambling...sorry.

Hugs
Jan
janellabella.blogspot.com

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Your dishes are so pretty...I love both sets! I never tire of Christmas dishes...so glad you shared your lovely table!

Kathleen said...

I have a few pieces of the Naif. Until last year we had a little V and B outlet here in Southampton, so I would pick it up on clearance after the holidays. I love it.
I miss that store, I would head right to the basement for the clearance items!
I am going to link up for Red Wed this week, I have a lot of red in the scape in just did.

Sarah said...

Cute winter dishes. These would make me smile.

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

very pretty dishes! I love your petite fleur ones! I've seen them at the high end store but they are very expansive here at my side of the world!.

yours are just lovely! have a great day!
xo

CATHERINE said...

Très joli blog !
Amitiés de France (Midi Pyrénées)
Catherine

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Sue, those are really pretty. I haven't seen "relish" dishes just like those, and I bet they are fun for lunch and snacks. I love your cherry tablecloth too.

I'll see you tomorrow!

Kathy

Cheeseboy said...

Very nice. I am a little jealous that you spent two years in Germany. I've always wanted to go there.

EFT Therapy said...

Your chinaware are so lovely!