Tuesday, October 25, 2011

REDNESDAY




Welcome! Mister and I went to the semi-annual auction of our favorite thrift store. I got lots of "good stuff cheap"!

We bid on this box of old rotary dial telephones for a friend who is a serious phone collector. Nobody else wanted them, so we stole them for $2.00. I'd love the red one!


Two knee huggers, a Santa (made in Japan), and a ceramic bird salt shaker.

Some wonderful vintage hankies ~ one with a "K" for my Katherine!

This is, I believe, a child's suitcase. It measures 10-1/2" x 14" x 5-3/4", and has a cool faux snakeskin pattern on it. The metal tag says "Shortrip" and it was stuffed with doll clothes and accessories, of which I'll have to sort through. I love old cases - they're great for storage!

This is my favorite item, that I got for $4.00. A 1947 little portable sewing kit. It is sooooooo cute! Awesome bright, bold graphics that I love. It's in very good condition, especially since it's 64 years old! (Hmmm, reminds me of a Beatles song!)

I wish it still had the scissors, but beggars can't be choosers. There's some fabric scraps under the cardboard that someone was practicing on - looks like 70's type fabric.

Here's Betty! She comes with the case, so I assume you got to make doll clothes with this kit.

That's all I'll show you today. I have more reds from this auction that I'll show next week, and some pretty figurines and stuff that I'll show you in between!

* * * * *
Now, heads up everyone! I'll be presenting my Christmas Tag Swap in the next day or two, so be on the alert!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sewing kit is such a fun find! Such perfect colors. ♥

Stella said...

Love the graphics and color in the sewing kit.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Sue,
Great reds but that Little Traveler's Sewing Kit is just too cute!!
What a great find!!

Thanks for hosting...will be linking up later!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Kaye Swain - SandwichINK for caregivers and grandparents said...

What a fun RED visit to your site, full of sweet family memories for this member of the Baby Boomer Generation - including those cute hankies as I used to have similar ones and those great telephones - we still have a couple of those in storage somewhere. Great pictures to share with my grandkids and senior mom. Thank you :)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

That sewing kit is so precious! You always find the sweetest antique, Sue. Happy REDnesday!

Lola said...

Lovely sewing kit!

Happy Rednesday too!

Sandie said...

Oh my word! That sewing kit is so predious!!! Thanks for having Rednesday!

Diann said...

You hit the jackpot on some fun and vintage thrift finds! thank you for hosting!

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

Wonderful buys at the auction ! I love the elves & the sewing kit.

LV said...

You did very well on be the winning bid for all those goodies. I never seem to find things that great.

The French Hutch said...

You had a great day when you found the sewing kit. Its so adorable. I also love the vintage hankies, my MIL is working on a quilt using vintage hankies she's collected over the years. Thanks for hosting Rednesday.

~Emily
The French HUtch

Mecky said...

The sewing kit is cute!

Last year I bought a black wall phone like the one in the box for my kitchen...for fun. I paid 20.00 for just it. I never have hung it up. I like the red one too.

DearHelenHartman said...

That sewing kit is a stitch! The phones look like a whole box of treasure, too.

My Vintage Mending said...

I love that sewing kit and seeing as how it says Kansas City on the front it must be meant to be...what a great find. You have such great luck. Have a wonderful week...smiles...Renee

April D said...

What is it about colorful PHONES? Love that red AND the yellow one!
The little sewing kit has stolen my heart away, right thru the computer screen. ADORABLE!
Happy Rednesday!
~april

Lynn said...

Hi Sue,
Oh my gosh!! Everything you have showed us so far is just soo stinkin cute!! I am so sorry to say but I am little bitty bit jealous! OUr thrit stores never have any of the cute stuff that the rest of you blogland girls find at your Goodwills and thrift stores. I go each week and on different days to each of our Goodwills and thrift stores! Maybe just maybe one day I will get lucky!!
Hugs,
Lynn

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Love the sewing kit - so cute!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

magie said...

You sure found some lovely things. My favourite is the adorable sewing kit, and for $4, that is a bargain.

Diane said...

You did pretty good at that auction, don't ya just love getting great treasures! Love the old phones. Thanks for hosting the party. Diane

MomWaldsPlace said...

Wow, I wish our thrift stores did that. The sewing kit is great. Good clean fun!

Ann said...

OH MY 1974 Sewing Kit, that was a very good year--ha ha -my bd year. That is an amazing toy and still in such good shape!!!
ann

Al McLeary said...

I did not have anything to post, but I love stopping by on Wednesdays to see what every one is up to.

★Carol★ said...

You really did steal those phones, and I bet your friend is very happy right now! And that sewing kit is just so charming!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I'm so glad you host this meme. What would I do without my weekly "cherry fix"?!