Friday, October 28, 2011

SNOW AND FIGURINES

Hollyhocks and Petunias

It snowed last night! October 27th! The temp went down to below freezing; it was 30F/-1C this morning. It was only an inch but, still, it was frozen to the truck and I had to scrape with a kitchen spatula (vintage, mind you) and pour water over the windshield because the defroster wouldn't kick in fast enough!

Even here in Massachusetts, we rarely get snow in November, let alone October. The earliest that I remember snow was about 16 years ago when it snowed on my birthday, November 13. We're expected to get 2-5" more tomorrow night (Saturday). This is unheard of . . . and I won't stand for it! (I better go lay down.)

I'm glad I took cuttings on Monday, although these geraniums surprisingly made it through the night. The tall one in the back still has a blossom on it!


Now, for the pleasantries of vintage figurines that came from the auction last weekend.

I'll be selling these pretty pink Made-in-Japan candlesticks on Etsy soon. The angels will be added to my Christmas figurine collection.

All of these ones are Lefton. The feather wings on the February angel are in perfect condition, and I was so excited to get a November angel! The birds and choirboys will go on Etsy, also.

Now, this pretty little "tussie-mussie" is only about 1-1/2" across and so old-fashioned. This was in that suitcase of doll clothes.

And, finally, this armillary, which was my most expensive single item ($15). It stands about 24" tall and, when I went to pick up my items at the end of the auction, I found out it had a Home Goods sticker on the bottom - on clearance for $22! Oh, well, I've always wanted one. Mister will polyurethane it for outdoors next Spring.

All in all, I spent about $45 at the auction - the suitcase with doll clothes was $5, a box of vintage Fisher Price toys (that I'll show on Rednesday) was $4, some tin cans were $4, and the armillary $15. At the end, the auctioneer said that all the leftover items could be taken for a donation. I gave $15 for all the figurines, a vintage child's stepstool, a vintage cookie jar, the vintage handkerchiefs, and a vintage 60's full first aid kit. Pretty good haul this time around!

That's making me feel a little bit better about the snow! . . . NOT!

I'm linking this post to Pink Saturday this week!

11 comments:

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

WOW!!

I think you made quite a haul!! Great goodies!!

Well, we are supposed to get anywhere from 4 - 10+ inches of snow in the Pocono Mountains of Pa.!!!!! Maybe 6 inches for my area!

It figures..I am having a Fall Party on Sunday. All I have to do is plan something and we get bad weather but I NEVER thought I would be worried about snow!!!!

Hugs,
Deb

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Ugh to the snow! You did however score some awesome things at the auction. I love the Feb Angel as my youngest is a FEB girl! hugs, Linda

Lynn said...

wow I love the snow and your awesome auction purchases!
Hugs,
Lynn

Anonymous said...

Yikes! It smells like snow here and that's scary enough! ♥

Kaye Swain - SandwichINK for the Sandwich Generation said...

What a fun visit for Pink Saturday! :) We've had really thick frost as well - but then it warmed up. I've heard a Nor'easter is headed your way? Praying you stay warm and safe :) Have a blessed week.

ImagiMeri said...

Snow already???? Didn't you all just get rid of it like a couple of months ago??? It's time to move here to the desert my dear....although we did have kind of a freakish storm night before last.

Weird weather isn't ominous is it?

Oh well, happy Halloween girlfriend.

Hugs,
Meri

Tina´s PicStory said...

nice pics :)

Unknown said...

Snow...wow! I'm assuming we'll have some here pretty soon too. It's been getting chilly!!

I would like to invite you to my weekend linkup. It involves anything related to homemaking: recipes, sewing, decorating, crafts, DIY, a story about what you did today, etc! I've always admired your bright and cheery blog and I know you'd be a great addition to the party!

Hope you have a lovely weekend!

HaPpY pInK sAtUrDaY!
Sarah

Unknown said...

Great haul at the auction. And I don't blame you a bit for being mad about the snow!!! WAY too early....I saw snow fall in Wisconsin to, but it just melted.....I willl hope this if just s fluke for you and you have many more says until the white is permanent!

Simply Shelley said...

So many are getting snow already...are we in far a as cold of winter as our summer was hot...if so I will freeze :) Of course we never see the white stuff here in Texas hardly but,one never knows :) Love all your finds...cute stuff. Blessings

Chubskulit Rose said...

Simply beautiful!

Pink Fairy