Tuesday, June 21, 2011

REDNESDAY - HAPPY SUMMER!


(drawing courtesy of The Graphics Fairy)


Happy Summer (officially) everyone! I'm so tired! School is out, I was up late last night making a last-minute gift for the crossing guard; then, after school I took Becky and her cousin to Friendly's for lunch and ice cream to celebrate the last day of school. I'm feeling a bit punchy, if you know what I mean!

Here is what I made this week - it's a four-sided hanging thingy with pics about crossing guards. This morning I added some of those stick-on little fake jewels to jazz it up a bit. First, I used white card stock, tracing the circle around a CD. Then I double-side taped the printed paper on that. I trimmed the edges with pinking shears. Next, I cut out the pics that I printed from Google images and taped them on.
I folded each circle in half, lengthwise. I then taped three of the sides to each other, leaving an opening for the fourth. Before I put that piece in, I took a bit of old jewelry "bling" and strung it with embroidery thread. Draping that over the inside fold, I then taped on the fourth panel. I tied a few knots in the top so it wouldn't slide down through the center, and there you have it!

Next to show you is an easy-peasy patriotic garland that I made using vintage Christmas ornament light covers! I took a length of wired ribbon, attached "flag" grosgrain ribbon at six even intervals and sewed the houses to the grosgrain.

18 comments:

Lola said...

Happy Rednesday!

XOXO Lola:)

★Carol★ said...

I bet the crossing guard loved it, especially the bling-a-ling! And I'm crazy about that patriotic garland. The little houses are so charming!
Happy REDnesday and Happy Summer!
Carol

LV said...

How thoughtful and kind you are to do something for the school guard. I am sure they appreciated it. Wish I had a small part of your creativity.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Those are so sweet! Love the images and I'm sure they will love their gift.
deb

Leckeres für Mensch und Katze said...

Today I have cherries for a cherry world :)
LG Tina

GwendolynKay said...

!Very sweet.

Mary @ Redo 101 said...

I love your safety signs, love the vintage pics to get across an important message. I've linked up my 4th of July mantle, all bought at yard sales (except the flags). Thanks for hosting!

Simply Shelley said...

Thanks for hosting Rednesday...it is always fun seeing what everyone offers.....love your post...that's a very festive banner...love it too....blessings

Kaye Swain - SandwichINK for Grandparents and Caregivers said...

What fun and easy-sounding crafts for seniors AND kids - perfect for the Sandwich Generation grandparents and their grandkids. Thanks for the ideas, inspiration, and encouragement of Rednesday.

BlessingReflections said...

Your hanging houses are so adorable!

Lynn at Cottage and Creek said...

Your little gift for the crossing guards is charming. I'll bet they loved them. Your blog always makes me happy. Thanks for hosting and sharing all your sweet, clever ideas.
~Lynn

bj said...

How sweet this is. You are so talented, Sue.
xo bj

Musings from Kim K. said...

Your patriotic garland is BRILLIANT! I'm totally in love with this week's crafting ideas from you. I shared my patriotic tree in this week's rednesday post.

Thanks for hosting another fabulous party. I made a new online friend last week (who also has an adopted daughter from China) because of your party. Very fun!

Angela said...

What a great idea about printing them off from google. Oh lovely..more items for me to add to my collection of craft ideas...I SO love vintage pics and never thought about printing them off like that...Loved the easy peasy garland..going to do something too like that with all my other craft items,lol....Thanks again Sue for this wonderful Rednesday. Do you know if I don't have mine up early..I even have a Walmart employee leave me a message on my Facebook asking what's up? lol...seems Rednesday has become everyone's favorite..Love ya girl

ImagiMeri said...

Hi Sue,

What a lovely and thoughtful gift to the crossing guard. Hardly anyone acknowledges them, how sweet of you to do so.

Hugs,
Meri

Curtains in My Tree said...

Thanks for REDNESDAY and you was busy making those really cute crossing guard things and the garland is really cute

I will be glad when I can sit in the studio and make anything

Love your Rednesday's


Janice

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Love the little houses on the banner. So sweet.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Cheeseboy said...

I LOVE summer. Favorite season by far. Cool creations you have made.