Sunday, August 15, 2010

MY LITTLE PATIO

I have a little "patio" that I made with (free) bricks a few months back. It's just a small part of my dream patio behind the house (technically the side yard, but we call it the back yard).

With our (very) modest income, I try to do the best I can with what I have - the "shed" was made by Mister from two large shipping crates, sided with two small windows. All free materials, it stands about 5 feet tall.
On the left of the shed is this fabulous cedar arch that came from a yard sale. It has a pot of trailing gloxinias behind it so the flowers climb on it. Those are pink Four O'Clocks and white Cosmos in front.

These plastic chairs just won't die! We've had them for about 10 or 12 years. Pillar free (side of road), trellis $2 at yard sale - supporting a Morning Glory.

Mister picked up this arch/bench/trellis new-in-box at a yard sale four years ago. We've moved it around the yard a few times. The white trellis piece was free, I think. Pillow cushions are from an old sofa and the two smaller pillows were a gift from Dawn of Cottage State of Mind. (Dawn, I sprayed them with a UV protectant so they won't fade!) I'm growing Morning Glories and Thunbergia up the sides, and a planter of Coleus underneath.

The umbrella was free from a neighbor down the street who decided she didn't want to drill holes in her deck to secure it. I've always wanted one of these side-arm umbrellas - Mister had some sort of long (very long!) screws or something, and just put it into the ground. Even when it's windy it doesn't wobble! The planter (free from a friend) at the bottom of the stairs has two Sweet Potato Vines in it. The blue lawn chairs were free when my sister moved to an apartment.


Originally, when we put up the (prefab) house, it had a window where the blue door is, but I had them change it to a door. I'm glad I did, we use it all the time! (It goes into my craft/laundry room). We wanted to put in a large cement or paver patio here, but as time went on and funds got low, it never materialized. Grass has slowly grown into a lot of this sandy area. Thursday, on Freecycle, I saw a listing for 50 free large patio pavers, so I sent the guy an email saying I definitely wanted them. I haven't heard back yet, even though I sent a second email practically begging for them! I'm hoping he just went away for the weekend and will contact me tomorrow.

Here's the view looking out from the door. Nice and relaxing! (Except for the noisy kids on the other side of the trees who always hit foul balls into my yard!) Mister built the stone walls from rocks on our property and made the steps from the foundation stones of our old (old!) house.
So, you see, my little patio area has lots of potential - where are Yard Crashers when you need them!

22 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

You have done so much with free and recycled items. Looks fab! I hope you get those pavers! Everything is so expensive now and we all have to make the best of what we have..you are doing a wonderful job!

Jill said...

A patio is a wonderful thing...I love what you've done with yours so far. My yard has lots of potential also-- I just need Yard Crashers too!

Brenda said...

What a lovely place you have made for yourself to relax. I love the stone wall/steps and the shed is so cute!

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Good Morning Sue Sweetie...
Oh my gosh what a beautiful share this morning. I love your little piece of heaven there in your back yard. Love the stone steps and rock walls, and oh my gosh how precious is your little storage shed. Mister did a fabulous job.

I love the cedar arch and how pretty to have gloxinias to climb on it. So very pretty sweetie.

We have several of those plastic chairs ourselves, but you know with the Phoenix sun, they are sturdy and can easily be moved around.

Oh I hope you get your pavers. Isn't it so much fun to recycle?

Have a gorgeous Sunday sweetie. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

Unknown said...

Sue,
Your backyard and patio are so inviting, and I lvoe hearing about all of the elements...I noticed you called your home a prefab???? I would love to see photos and how do you get a house like that???? Where do you go to order it????? I think your backyard is cozy and fun...and you and your husband are very creative! :)

Sam I Am...... said...

You and your Mister are an example to everyone nowadays! Wow! It's easy to decorate and landscape if you've got the money...what's really difficult is to take what you have and make something beautiful out of it! Hats off and cheers to you both for making such a beautiful peaceful space. I am INSPIRED! thanks you so much for sharing it with us.

Dandelion and Daisy said...

WOW! You have accomplished so much without spending a fortune, good for you. I looks like a great place to relax and enjoy the view. Good luck on the pavers, that would be a nice addition.

Express said...

It looks beautiful and has marvelous finishing. Thanks for your blog.
patio doors

photos mariages originales said...

Thanks for giving this post, nice pictures and outlooks, too beautiful.

Express said...

Wow! This is quite amazing pictures.These are fabulous.Thankyou for sharing...
patio doors

ImagiMeri said...

Hi Sue,

Your yard is lovely, and I especially love your low stone wall and steps.......very reminicent of an English countryside. You are exceptionally thrifty and I admire your style and ability greatly.

Hugs,
Meri

Lemon Lane Studio said...

Who needs Yard Crashers? Your doing a lovely job on your own. I am so into repurposing right now. Most everything we need is somewhere to had for little or no cost. Your inviting side yard is proof of that! Patty

Susan Freeman said...

How wonderful that you have found a home for so many "found" treasures!!

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Unknown said...

WOW Susan! Your patio is beautiful.
Our house in an All American Modular! You can check it out in a pic back in Feb, Mar when it snowed. We love the modular...we'd do it again. I want to put a big metal roof over our kitchen porch, but like you..it's a wish..someday.

Shelley said...

You have a nice of nice things...for great prices! That's the way to do it. I do have a love/hate relationship with freecycle. You do have to jump on the posts to get the good stuff! I wish they allowed for pictures. I hope you get your pavers!

Cheeseboy said...

Your patio makes me want to shoot my patio in it's ugly patio face. So awesome.

Doris C said...

Sue you have a lovely garden, its wonderful what you can do arranging and designing there, and umberella chairs, would love to call and sit under the patio umberella.
Doris C Africam

Doris C said...

Super treasures Sue i like your garden i am hoping this will post to the comments this time.
Regards Doris C

Unknown said...

Hi Sue, I WISH I had a cute patio instead of deck. I love your stone steps. I wanted to stop by today to ask if you would like to participate in an invitation only Halloween standing banner swap. I am lining up the most wonderful participants and wanted to be sure and include you. Too busy, not a worry at all! Just let me know! Elizabeth

bj said...

Your patio area looks great. Hope you were able to get the free pavers.:)

I came by to link for Rednesday...will come back later, tho.
xo bj

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

I love your patio! I try to be as frugal as I can be also .Everything you have done looks wonderful !
Blessings,
~Myrna

Anonymous said...

You have put so much heart and soul in your garden. It's wonderful to look at. So many nice features, I don't know where to start ;) I think we have those same plastic chairs that just won't die ;) Two of 'em and they're at least 10 years old! Did you get your Freecycle pavers? I hope, I hope.
The wall your husband built out of rock is awesome.